Sunday 23 May 2010

Portrait of wrestler Onno Boelee AKA Otto Mannheim

 
Posted by Picasa


This 1970's painting* is my portrait of one of my younger brothers, Onno Boelee. This work hung for many years in Shantytown a night club in Queen Street, Auckland, where Onno was the bouncer. If some of the patrons got angry with him, they used to throw their drinks at the painting rather then at him...... "The Inbetweens" were the fabulous disco band there at the time!

* The collection of Lennie and Julie Worthington (Oil on Whakatane Board, 1200 x 1200 mm)

ONNO BOELEE

height 6'1

Weight 125 kgs

Profile
I started wrestling for South Pacific Wrestling in 1970. I did my training at a very good gym in Mt Roskill, Auckland, New Zealand.

The promoters I worked for were Earnie Pinchers, Steve Rickard and Giant Baba.

I toured New Zealand extensively from 1971 through to 1976 for Steve Rickard.

I have toured internationally only to Japan in September, October and November 1974.

Opponents
The local and international wrestlers I fought were: Frank Lipnovich, Wild Don Scott, Bronco Barnes, Robert Bruce, King Curtis, Mark Lewin, Teddy Williams, Butch Miller, Bruno Becker, The Sheik, Jock Ruddock, Johnny Garcia, Big Bad John, Abdullah the Butcher, Al Hobman, Bulldog Brower, Waldo Von Erich, Merve Fortune, Del Adams and Andre the Giant.

My toughest opponent was John da Silva.

No comments: